Saturday, 31 January 2015

twins

Hey there! I'm happily back in Edinburgh after the holidays, happily back in business! I deeply regret that I left my camera here when I travelled back home, so logically from that follows that now is the time to take a look at the most interesting shoot I had last semester, right? Because I have no holiday season-y snow pictures, it's time for something else that used to be frozen, right?

This was part of our recreation assignment and here's the original by Sarah Ann Loreth


It feels like I have adored this photograph always. It's one of the first that caught my eye a long time ago that I still can recall as my early inspiration. A couple of months ago when I asked myself "what do I want to recreate?" I first browsed tumblr and my flickr favourites to find something doable but exciting. When I stopped to think, it was obvious that I would recreate this one. With the wise words of our tutor: when would I ever get such a good opportunity to put an octopus on my head?

And here's my recreation


Obviously the octopuses probably weren't twins. When I bought them frozen I was expecting one big one and was surprised to get two small ones. Unfortunately the model in the original photo and I are hardly twins either, but the original photographer Sarah Ann Loreth and her model are!

I've gotten a lot of strong (sometimes it's hard to tell if "you must be crazy!" is positive or negative) feedback from this picture, and that has been fun. Though I am conscious of that the feedback, positive or negative, was probably about what I did for the picture rather than the picture itself. I don't know if I like that or not. Forgetting the fact that this isn't actually my image, I just recreated something someone else had already done, do I want to take a good picture or do something good that I can take a picture of? Are they even two different things, or are they two sides of one thing? And maybe it's not bipolar, maybe it's more diverse than good/bad and positive/negative. I suppose this is part of my struggle for 'what makes a good photograph'.

Funnily enough the most difficult things about this recreation were preventing the octopuses from falling off my head and keeping my eyes open against the super bright light. In my experience the smell wasn't that bad, though to be honest I did spend a considerable amount of time in the shower after the shoot.

2 comments: