Saturday, 27 September 2014

pleasantly windy

Hi, I am Katariina. Three weeks ago I moved to Edinburgh, and I am now studying photography in Edinburgh Napier University. Some people tell me that I am very brave for daring to do all this, but that is not true simply because I was never afraid. That is necessarily not a good thing, but this time it was. You know how people have dreams? I am currently living mine.


Actually it sounds rather weird to 'live a dream', but that's what this is. It's a dream I've had, and it's wonderful, weird and blurry, but it's also true. It's my day-to-day life, it's success, it's failure, exciting, boring, lovely, hurting, easy and difficult. I go to listen to a lecture, and while I'm sitting in the lecture hall, and I'm being given homework and the same time I can't believe that I'm actually there, in that lecture hall, being given homework by a lecturer of the university in which I got in to study photography, in Edinburgh.

When I came to Edinburgh for the first time, three years ago, I fell in love with the city and told my friend: 'I'm going to live here some day'. And now I do. On that trip I bought a little Nessie sculpture, and now that Nessie is swimming above my bed to remind me of that trip.
I have always wanted to learn and liked school, but the biggest reason to make me excited to be here is that I actually get to study what I love. For the first time in my whole life I get to study not for the tests and the exams, but solely for myself. Yes, there will be tests and displeasing assignments, and I'm not interested in all aspects of photography, but I want to learn that stuff too, because if I didn't, a 'self-taught photographer' would have been enough for me and I wouldn't have applied to university.


So far we have been given two photography assignments. Both of them give us quite a lot of freedom, in a way, but I think they are rather challenging as well. This is one of the pictures I have taken for the first assignment.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful portrait! Good for you for living your dream, I hope Edinburgh is good to you. Where are you from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! That really means a lot to me. I'm from Finland.

      Delete