Saturday, 9 November 2013

sonja and the look

 -- At the moment I am awfully busy with school work (that's not going to change very soon) and my university application as well as the (Finnish high school) arts diploma work (which I will discuss here too, eventually). Please take a look at my portfolio and tell me which 2 are the most interesting and which 2 least interesting! --

This photo was taken in the photography camp in the summer. For the whole camp I wanted to try artificial lighting (in addition to the street lamp in Jenny shots) and an opportunity that matched with my vision was given to me in a studio setting.
We were in a hurry so I didn't get to participate to setting up the lights as Sonja and I were busy with the hair and make-up which was exceptionally essential in this photo. I first got the idea when I saw a dead butterfly on the ground. I was also inspired by this photo.


The reason for publishing this photo so long after the camp is that I haven't felt very comfortable with the edit. Below is the photo straight from Lightroom and below that an additional edit I tried and didn't like. The one above is better than the two below but I'm not completely satisfied with the clouds either. I still wanted to get the photo out, not just leave it deep in my computer to rot for forever. Again, this is more like a diary of development rather than a show-off for perfectly commercial material.

I felt quite lost with the photo; it didn't feel finished with just the white background but I didn't know what to do with it. Usually I would have taken a photo like this outside in the nature and in that situation I never have to think about what to do with the background. (Maybe I should?)



I've been dreaming of a hair stylist and a make-up artist who would make my visions true better than I can. Maybe some day that'll happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment