Sunday, 23 June 2013

bottled fun

On Tuesday Aino and I thought about a nice idea for a photo shoot and I suggested a tea party in a swamp. So, on Wednesday evening we drove (I passed my driving test!) to Pilpasuo and had some very good time! I used my 50 mm 1.8 lens and I totally love it, and Aino too. These must be the best photographs I've ever taken and that makes me sad and super happy at the same time. Obviously I'm very happy and proud of myself and Aino for such good photos but now I also feel that all of my previous work is shit and I've got nothing to put in my portfolio except for maybe two photos from this shoot. Though I still think the photo I started this blog with is very good and that's definitely part of the portfolio.
 
As I feel like I have developed as a photographer in the actual photographing area these photos are also revolutionary in another aspect: I edited my photos for the first time. I downloaded the trial version of Lightroom and I like it very much. It's just that I am very unsure about the result. I know these look good, but I have no idea whether they could look even better. The thing is that when I look at a photo I get used to the colours and contrasts and all and can't think of improvements. I can see the difference when comparing the finished and the original photo but the finished photo is a result of trials and errors and not a realisation of a vision. I guess I'll just have to do this a lot more and I will start to see things, but now it feels very difficult and I would be glad to hear what you think.
 
Oh and if you haven't noticed yet I added a page for my portfolio draft and a link to my brand new Flickr page into the top bar!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
Actually we never got to the tea party part and we have to do that one later. I am definitely going to use that bottle with the candle again.

10 comments:

  1. All I can say: gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the one where she's looking straight at the camera, the stare seems to just come out of the screen. But all beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, there are two in which she looks straight at the camera. I'm assuming you mean the latter one, the sort of a close-up (because I like that one more). Thank you :>

      Delete
  3. This thing is very good. I would definitely say that this is an inflection point in your blog.
    When I work with photoshop (you know... concert posters and all those things) I try a lot of things without a real purpose and see what works and what doesn't. And I don't think that's the right way to do things: even though you will learn some tricks that hardly ever fail to work, you'll end up wasting your time AND LOSING YOUR CREATIVE VISION. You will get used to use "effects" where they are not needed only because you have accustomed your eyes to "intense colors" or whatever kind of editing you've been doing.
    I'm not a professional poster designer and I don't intend to be one but, if I did, I think that in the long term it is worth to do things in another way. For example: when we were mixing our EP with Jorge. We had a pre-mix that we heard and studied and then we listened to a lot of CDs we liked: CDs from the 70s or from the 2000s, from The Rolling Stones or The Doors to Airbourne or Megadeth. And we paid attention to those little details that made the CDs more enjoyable (and also to the annoying ones that we should avoid). Then we made a 5 pages long list of details we wanted to have in our CD. And Jorge did whatever he wanted to, so everything was completely useless, but I think the process was quite good anyways. And the result, even if they were not connected.
    So maybe you should spend more time looking at photos than taking them, and try to guess what has been edited in them. And what kind of editing you like. Then there is this middle step between knowing what you want and making it happen, but that's just practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all: thank you for your effort. Secondly, I think you're right. I've met people who know too well what they are doing but who can't see anything else but the way they do things. I don't want to be one of those people and I'm afraid that I've already got too strong ways of doing things and especially ways of looking at things. I'll take your advice and try to practise seeing. Though the difficult thing is that I'll have to learn to do things the way important people want them to be done plus the way I want to do it. I have to know and master the professional style to create my own. Oah I don't know if I'm trying to go too deep.

      Delete
  4. She's pretty and the pictures are gorgeous. Love the light.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes she is. And yeah, the sunlight of the late evening is very beautiful. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Hello.

    You have some very interesting content in your blog and I think at this point I'm definitely starting to see your potential. I've already seen some very good photos so far, but this photo set especially stands out positively. I haven't seen all of your photos yet (I'm reading chronologically) but I already feel like this - photographing people, especially individuals - is one of your strongest fields as a photographer. These photos already look very nice (a vague valuation coming from someone who has absolutely zero knowledge on the technical/professional aspects of photography) and I would love to see you redoing this or something similar in the future.

    My favourite is the second to last. It has a good framing, and I love the contrast between the candle light and the black background. It's a pity, however, that the cande light (due to daylight) is so feeble here - had you chosen a darker hour for shooting, the flickering candle flame would've cast a very majestic light and stronger shadowing on her face, which would have made this photo excellent. Maybe try something like that next time? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm really happy to get a comment like yours! I'm very delighted to hear that you find it interesting to read my blog chronologically, though I am at the same time a little ashamed of what I have published in the past.
      I hope you are very right with what you say, as photographing people in conceptual photographs and portraits are of great interest to me. It's interesting to hear that you like the second last photo because I do not care for it so much, though my reasons for not liking it as much the others might not be very objective. However, there are other candle photos published after these, so hopefully you will like them too :>

      Delete